Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Present


It marvels me that day after day passes and each of us live our lives as if it is our own.
Life becomes a meaningless sequence of events when we limit it to our own selfish plans and desires. In the end of my life, am I going to worry about what I have accomplished or acquired?

Tell me, what DOES matter in the end?

Remember, the crucial point in life is the present. We worry about the future; we dwell on the mistakes or triumphs of the past. But often than not, we forget to live NOW. I have to keep reminding myself to enjoy the present and live in the moment. But how can we do that unless we let go of our fears and worries about yesterday and tomorrow?

Jesus said, ‘Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?’

Do your best today and don’t let the worries of tomorrow distract you from completing and excelling in today’s work. If you just focus all your heart, mind and strength in doing what you have to do today, tomorrow would not worry you because by then, you would be ready to take the next step.

Indeed, the worries and cares of man are meaningless and useless. Instead, I must learn to face every challenge depending on God. That means I have to do my part just as much as God works his divine intervention to work all things for the good of those who love him.

But, do not make the mistake of thinking that worrying about the future and planning for the future is synonymous!

We would be heading nowhere if we did not plan and anticipate for the coming days. Only do that while being “anxious for nothing”. But how can we not be worried unless God gives us His peace that “surpasses all understanding”? And how can God give it to us unless we ask of him? I realize it is pride – no matter how subtle – that stops me from calling out to God. But when I do come to realize that nothing else in this world can save me, God has never failed to show up.

We often wish we can foresee the result of our efforts, but if we could orchestrate our world, life would be very pathetic indeed. And, we would not rely on our Creator.

In a bittersweet sense, it can be a blessing to face challenges, to have to work hard to achieve something. If we were perfect beings, with all the talents we wished to have, there would be no sense of accomplishment and individuality. There would be no triumph, no purpose to life.

As Brecht, a German playwright said, “Those who struggle often fail, but those who do not struggle have failed already.”

So take heart that whatever hurdles lie ahead, if you would remember your Creator and call out to Him, I know 100% that He will show up. Have no doubt, and He will give you the peace and guidance to take the next step.

“Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and you say 'I find no pleasure in them.'” Ecclesiastes 12:1

Carpe diem,
Janielle =)

No comments:

The Visitors