Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Crux of Complacency

People who are aware of the pricelessness of time and the significance of life on earth will not live like the rest of the world lives. Success is redefined in the terms of eternity. No longer must I seek the approval or favor of men. No longer must we grasp at the wind by trying to please ourselves and please people.

I would rather be so to say in lack, than have everything I want. I’d rather not have all the opportunities in the world. I’d rather not have what most people see as “success”. Well, am I settling for less? I believe not.

The lives of my Dad and Mom are teaching me to hold loosely to the things of this world. When the time comes to let go, it must be as easy as a snap of the finger. Let go. As long as you already have what matters, inside you. And in the hearts and lives of others – a continuum from their time on earth, to the next great journey beyond.

While it is Today, we cannot fall into the chasm of COMPLACENCY. Comfort is good. Success is good. Or is it?

Over the past months, I begin to realize that complacency is the underlying, subtle current that drags me further and further away from the Truth – and my destiny in Christ. Complacency is like a sly undercurrent that unnoticeably pulls many, many ignorant souls out to the open sea. Soon they begin to drift, and drift out there, never finding the shore again.

That is a scary thought. No, it is a terrifying thought…

What do I mean by complacency?

It is when we become too ignorant and comfortable – not only with our surroundings, but with ourselves. When we no longer desire to grow our character to be more like Christ. When we no longer pray & live to change our wayward thinking, actions and words.

It is even when we mindlessly think “God is always a good god who wants to bless and prosper me.” Yes, God is a good God. He wants to bless His people. But not when they’re holding on tight to their possessions and not daring to leap out in faith. Not when we’re perpetual sitting ducks. Not when we’re no longer seeking and knocking and asking. That’s when we have to ask ourselves, is God really giving me all this so I can sit here and live my jolly life?

I have to admit, coming to Australia has “dulled my senses”. Although there have been “leaps of faith” with God’s help, it is inevitable that after awhile, in such a nice, comfy land of opportunities, I have become ever slightly so complacent. Once you’re in it, dragged out into the sea, it takes awhile to fight your way back to land.

Here, I have a choice. You have a choice. We can either continue to drift out into the dark seas without even realizing it, or we can choose to wake up and begin the struggle back to shore. It is a struggle – an often unseen, inner struggle that only God can see. Is it worth it? I wonder.

“Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord, they will eat the fruit of their sinful ways.

For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them.

But whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease without fear of harm.”
Proverbs 1:28-33

For sure, I’m listening; I don’t want to drift aimlessly and “contentedly” out there! I’ve got things to do back on shore. While it is Today, I still have time. While you and I are out there in the open sea, still struggling against the current, I am filled with sudden hope & joy that hey, there is someone out there I can reach out to!

We’re not alone. Be rest assured that at least, there is someone out there swimming “against the current” too. Even if we don’t seem to be getting anywhere, take heart – at least we’re swimming. ;)


Carpe diem,
Janielle


No comments:

The Visitors