Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Did You Hear That?

I learned an important lesson today. That is, to listen.

Most of us have big problems listening. I am also always quicker to speak and slower to listen. Now I realize that this problem really is the cause’ of a lot of misunderstandings and unnecessary quarrels.

I had a needless squabble with my mum over dinner earlier. We were talking about my studies, which in turn led to my grades in math. The conversation took a turn and we started disagreeing over a certain matter and argued for our own points. I didn’t give up trying to convince her that I was right, and neither did she.

Now when I think back, I really thought it was quite daft of us. If only we had slowed down on the arguing and listened – really listened – to what we were trying to tell each other, we wouldn’t have ended up getting upset unnecessarily.

After I finally gave up trying to convince my mum I was right, I went to my room and thought about what we were arguing about. I reflected on what my mum was trying to tell me. And after comparing her idea with mine, I realized that in a way, she also had been right.

If only I had listened properly. Not just listen irrationally of course, but listened with understanding! That simple initiation would have saved us our petty squabble. And a verse even came to my mind…

“So then, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” – James 1:19-20

This verse is so true! Now I finally understand it for myself. So the squabble we had achieved a purpose after all! :P Haha. Now I understand my mother’s concern. And hopefully the next time before I start to argue back, I’ll remember this incident and try to be swifter to hear, and slower to speak. Ha ha. :)

No comments:

The Visitors