Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Matthew 6:33 Filter

Whatever we do must go through what I call the 'Matthew 6:33 filter'.

'Seek first the kingdom of God & His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you.' Matthew 6:33
Every day, every step of the way, every plan and decision, should be seen and done through the filter of God's word. Especially Matthew 6:33, where Jesus reminds us that we should let aside all our petty worries & do first things first: seek God.

However, we often go the other way round. We stick to our plans first and only when things don't work out, we seek God's help. Well its never too late, but precious time & opportunity would've been lost.

And even when we do seek God, we usually have some sort of 'back-up plan' forming at the back of our minds...

'The main thing is to keep the main thing the MAIN THING.'
What is the center of your existence? What do you value and love and enjoy doing?

All I'm saying is that whatever we have, whatever we hold dear, whatever skills we possess, should be GIVEN BACK to the One who bestowed us with these good gifts.

'A man can receive nothing, unless it is given to him from heaven.' John 3:27
Many times I wonder what I should do with my life in the future. I have these skills and opportunities. But how should I use them?

Again, if I put all these questions and plans through the Matthew 6:33 filter, I can easily return to the MAIN THING.

Before I even attempt to answer my questions or finalize any of my own plans, I need to seek God first. But how? Its easy to say, but what if there is no clear answer or direction?

Perhaps we're not listening. Maybe we're afraid to. Things may not go as WE plan it to be. Or whatever God's direction is may require a touch of foolhardiness, or at least it may seem so in OUR human eyes.

Nevertheless, no matter how difficult it is to submit to the direction of Someone we cannot see, feel tangibly or hear audibly, we must make it our life's aim and stick to it. Why? Because there IS no other better way. I know that. I believe that. I trust that because God has proved Himself faithful and true countless times over.

When I have no 'back-up plans', when I have nothing, no one else, it is the best situation I can be in. It may not be entirely pleasant, because we humans like to have control over our lives; but it is in these kinda situations that God can show Himself strong THROUGH our weakness.

I will try to keep this note in mind through 2011 - last year of highschool & time to CHOOSE!!!

Carpe diem,
Janielle =)

No comments:

The Visitors