Sunday, October 2, 2011

Jolted Awake

by Janielle Beh on Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 11:59pm
Its unpleasant to be jolted awake.

But sometimes you need it. Such as when you smell something burning and realize you forgot to turn the stove off. Or when you've dozed on the train and just missed your stop.

From time to time, I need to be jolted awake. And I've shifted from merely physical terms here. Spiritually, we can all be so depraved and ignorant of our own sorry conditions. The condition of the heart and soul.

From day to day, I sometimes catch myself drifting with the trends of society. Often than not, they go against the Truth that I have instilled in me. It is tiring to struggle against the current. Sometimes I do give in and acquiesce, to my later regret.

So the rare moments when I DO get jolted awake, unpleasant though it may be, I realize how grateful I am afterwards that I was not allowed to drift in ignorance! Like the days when I doze off on the train, and thankfully, I for some reason wake up with a start just before I arrive the stop. Of course, the safer thing would be in the first place to not doze off!

Its a constant struggle to not drift! Its a constant challenge to not fall into complacency. Well no one said it would be easy. But it is well worth the effort and struggle when at the end of all things you realize once again that you DID stand for the right thing.

No comments:

The Visitors