Thursday, February 14, 2008


There’s a story behind every photograph I capture. Here’s one.

One day, I spotted a teeny-weeny moth on my mirror. It would have been nicer if I photographed its mirrored reflection, but I decided to capture it so that I’ll be able to take a clear macro shot. As I was admiring the little moth in the jar, it caught me that people don’t usually admire moths. The only times I happen to see a moth is when I’m in the bathroom. Haha, seriously!


I attempted to take a close-up shot of it to capture its wings. But of course, a butterfly would be a more beautiful capture. Most people would say that butterflies are prettier creatures compared to their dull-colored, night-flying cousins – moths. It occurred to me as I was admiring the moth in its jar, that even the dullest of moths are beautiful because no one will ever be able to create another like it.

Sometimes I wonder how some people can believe the idea that the world began with a big, loud BANG! Did the world just appear out of random, then? So are YOU just an insignificant, worthless being walking on the face of this earth? If you actually believe that you were not created for a purpose on earth, you will in actual fact be literally, worthless. The more you think about it, the more remorseful you’ll get.

My dad once gave me a simple analogy. Consider a simple object like a pencil. Can you tell me where it came from? Well of course, someone had to design and manufacture it right? But would you believe me if I told you it appeared out of a big loud bang?

Likewise, every living plant and creature on planet earth could not possibly have formed by chance or out of some haphazard cosmic explosion. There must be a Designer-Creator, a Supreme Being that formed the universe. Not by random chance, but by a firm plan and purpose. (Psalm 33:11)

Even a seemingly tiny and unnoticeable moth is in truth, God’s handiwork. Admire the intricacy and complexity of the moth’s wings. The reason I chose a moth on my header instead of something more appealing, is because I wanted to tell you that no one is unnoticeable or dull or worthless.

“God decided to give us life through the word of truth so we might be the most important of all the things He made.” – James 1:18 [NCV]

Until you realize that you are not nothing, but SOMETHING in God’s eyes, then only will you fully understand God’s purpose for your existence on earth.

No comments:

The Visitors