Saturday, January 31, 2009

One Thing I Desire

This world is crumbling. Even if it’s not the end of the world, any sane person can see that it’s not getting any better. Evil surrounds and gets us at every corner. As gloomy as it sounds, I’ll continue anyway. Whether or not you feel the same, I think it'll be interesting for you to read on.

You know, that leads me to think, we all have one thing in common. We all need God! Moreover, in such times, we must realize how much we need God. None of us are spared from what's happening - whether we're rich, poor, or in power. We are wretched beings and we need God's saving grace. Not just a God where we can go to like a gumball machine, whom we can ask whatever we need when we’re in trouble and get it instantly. But we need a God who gives hope in a dying world, a God who’s merciful. Because we all need mercy.

How many people know that? How many people would give up pride, humble themselves before God, and admit they need His saving grace?

When we’re in a bad situation, most of us will ask God, “Why, why, why?” But I realize that the “why” question will get us nowhere. Some questions are just never meant to be answered. We must learn to ask the right question and ask the right person. My dad shared with us a juicy quote yesterday, “Any fool can give a good answer, but it takes a wise man to ask a good question.”

Sometimes we have the right questions, but we're asking the wrong person. Or it's the other way round. Either way, the catch is to ask the right questions and go to the right source – the best source – which is God, of course!

God may not give us instant answers, and sometimes we may still be left in doubt. But I do know that no matter what happens, as my parents always remind me, GOD IS STILL ABOVE IT ALL. If we press on in faith to seek God, without doubting His sovereignty, we too will rise above our doubts and troubles to soar high above this crumbling world.

But if we think like the rest of this world, if we live by the world’s wretched standards, if we seek approval from men, if we doubt God and try to find our own answers, we will get nowhere! And what’s more, we will never rise above our doubts and increase in faith to be where Jesus wants us to be – with Him.

I learn that whenever I doubt, I shouldn't turn elsewhere for answers. But all the more, I must turn to God and be honest with Him. Talking to God doesn’t have to be all flowery and rhetorical. God gives us room to doubt Him. And if we ask the right questions and be honest about how we feel, I have no doubt that God will answer and reveal us His awesomeness!

I admire the Psalmist David for his faithfulness to God even in unpleasant situations. He continued to worship and proclaim that God is his strength. In Psalm 27:14 David says, “Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord!”

Above everything else, David knew that if he placed God in the center of his life, everything else will fall into their rightful places. David sang a psalm that is truly the core of what we must all desire in life.

"One thing I desire of the the Lord,

This is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord

All the days of my life,

To gaze upon the beauty of the Lord,

And to seek Him in his temple." - Psalm 27:4

I, too, want to pray the same prayer – that I will place God in the center of my life. That I'll be faithful to seek the things of His kingdom and dwell in His presence all of my days. After all, it’s the only thing that matters, isn’t it? And once we do that, I know that God will place everything else in their right order and what's more, we'll view our life in God's perspective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know the way I ended up here, but I believed this publish used to be great. I do not understand who you might be however definitely you're going
to a famous blogger should you aren't already. Cheers!

Feel free to visit my web blog - Www.tcs.uni-Luebeck.De

The Visitors