Sunday, May 24, 2009

My 3rd Instrument!

Guess what? I’ve decided to learn a third instrument at school!!!

It took me since Feb to finally decide. Though I really wanted to, another part of me will say, “Hey, you’re already full on with piano, violin, and a bit of guitar, where will you have time to work on something totally new?” I worried that I’ll stretch myself too thin.

Although I committed it to God, I did not truly believe I could do it because I was too busy worrying about not having the money to spend on an instrument. Now that I think back, I feel like slapping myself. How can I forget that God had provided and opened the doors for me when I wanted to learn the violin?

When I told my friends I am going for a third, their jaws dropped. Michelle said, “What!? Gosh, as it is you are not joining us for lunch already. If you do a third instrument you’ll have even less time!” Haha. Last year I started violin, but this year? Hehe, try guessing. :P

At this point, let me flashback to February 17th.

At that time, I thought of learning the clarinet or saxophone. While walking towards to music department to inquire, I bumped into my violin teacher. I decided to tell her that I want to learn a 3rd instrument. She described all the instruments she thought I might enjoy. And then, she told me about the oboe. I couldn’t even remember how the oboe sounded. But somehow, my interest was sparked.

When I heard a friend play his oboe in the Symphony Orchestra, I felt drawn to its pure voice and unique, melodious sound. It’s usually a solo instrument in orchestras and if you’re not good at blowing, it sounds like a duck. Haha. It becoming a pretty rare instrument and buying a decent oboe will cost you more than $ 2,000. An oboe reed – a 1 inch piece of cane with a tiny aperture to blow through – which will need to be changed every 3 months, will cost more than $ 20.

Finally, last week, I met the oboe teacher and decided. I figured that if I don’t do it now, I’ll miss the opportunity forever. Better now than never! I’ll be hiring an oboe from the school for only $ 165 for the rest of the year. Plus, I won’t have to pay any fees for learning a 3rd instrument! What a blessing. God is so good!

On Thursday, I had my first lesson with Mr. Jacobs. I found out that in whole school, there are only 6 oboists – now including me. :D

I will now have to make time to practice 30 minutes oboe each day. For now, my sound is still “ducky”. Haha. But my teacher is confident that I’ll pick it up fast. It’s a totally different thing now. I need to control my breath and purse my lips. It’s real tiring for my face and my mouth!



That's what an oboe looks like. Boy am I really excited for the day when I can play like my friend in the orchestra. Can't wait to be able to "sing" with the lovely voice of the oboe. Yeah, someday I’ll make it… x)

No comments:

The Visitors