Monday, June 22, 2009

Tomorrow May Never Come

I came across Zoe Ng’s blog yesterday. Nearly a month back, she wrote about a friend who had passed away in a biking accident. He was a 16 year-old guy called Yu Vern. My eyes popped out. Hey, oh my gosh, I thought, I think I know him! I read on in disbelief. I remember Yu Vern. He used to be in the same home school center as I was, same with Zoe and Soph and the other GRC-ians. I remember talking to him a few times. He wasn’t a loud guy, but I thought he was quite funny at times. I never really knew him more, though.

As I continued to read on in Zoe’s post, my heart just felt a teeny burning sensation. Although I never really knew him, I just felt really sad. Later on I read some other posts by his sister and his friends – and I felt sad for them. May God sustain and be with you guys through this time.

I couldn’t sleep last night. I kept thinking about it. Some part of me wished I didn’t find out so I wouldn’t have to worry about such things that most of us don’t like to think about. But then, isn’t it just something that will stare you in the face at some point in your life anyway?

Really, really, no man can ever know what will happen next or even if tomorrow will ever come. So why should we boast about planning to go here and there, and doing this and that when we don’t even know if we’ll live to that day? I know, it’s just something we don’t want to think about. But of course, God’s word also says that we should not spend each day worrying about the next. Live today to the fullest – which we all fail at doing, most times.

I think we just need to constantly remind ourselves that only God knows how long we’ll last and our purpose here on earth. So wouldn’t it be useless to make our own plans and do as we please then? Certainly! In everything we do, God should be the center of it. He is our Maker and Creator. The best thing to do is to seek Him and know His will. We ourselves won’t know it, and neither will anyone else.

“Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit’; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.’” (James 4:13-14)

Pondering on it the whole night, I was also reminded me that we should never, ever take people around us for granted. Yea yea, we all do. Sometimes we’re all just so caught up doing our own thing that we barely speak to our own family about what’s going on in our lives. How can that be? I am certainly guilty of not paying more attention to help my sisters and appreciating my parents.

Once we realize that we really may not have all the time in the world, our focus and priorities will reshuffle. Ultimately, what matters to me and you? Family, friends, fame, money? Is God in control or are we holding on to what we think are ours?

Hmm, we’ll have a long think about that.

No comments:

The Visitors