Sunday, August 23, 2009

Life and Truth

At some point in life, everyone struggles with their identity – who am I? With importance – do I matter? And with impact – what is my place in life?

I’m turning 16 in 3 weeks. I’m wondering what God has in store for me. While most of my friends are thinking about getting into a uni to study something that will secure them well-paying job in the future, I’m thinking, will the world even last till then? Haha, I know, what a sombre thought! But really, I’m being honest. Like I said to myself before, this world is surely crumbling on all sides.

Is there any hope? Are we gonna’ simply hope that things will get better?

In a world where nothing is firm and the ground underneath is shifty, what security do I have? Who can I trust? I know that no matter where I go, I will never truly “settle in”. I see every new destination as another temporary stopover. So then again, what is my security in this life? What matters most? Perhaps I’m asking too many questions. I must give myself some answers.

Once again, I find myself turning to my Bible. If you’ve been following my posts, I certainly hope that you’ve somehow been encouraged to read God’s Word! I struggle with so many distractions that stop me from reading my Bible. We study all sorts of textbooks, read countless novels, mags and newspapers, read blogs online, and yet so often we miss reading and hiding in our hearts the truth of all truths, found in God-inspired pages! Admittedly, no matter how much I know that God’s Word is life to my soul, I still sometimes pick up a novel instead.

The Psalmist David prayed in his longest psalm, “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your words.” Psalm 119:37 Psalm 119 is about the importance of seeking God’s word, meditating on it, hiding it in our hearts, and obeying it – amazingly, Psalm 119 is placed right smack in the middle of the Bible!

Now back to my first question. Is there hope? Are we simply gonna’ hope that this world will eventually straighten out? That will most like not happen. Thankfully, we do have a reason to hope and live. Not that the world will get any better, but that our hope is secure in Jesus Christ, who lives in those who abide in Him and his word and helps us live out our purpose for His glory in these treacherous times.

“Remember the word to Your servant [David prays], upon which You have caused me to hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life.” Psalm 119:49-50

We are all starved of God’s Word. Physically, we have plenty. But spiritually, we are “skin and bones”. We are constantly bombarded with so many distractions each day – it is no wonder that we find no time to read the Bible. Sadly, that only shows that we don’t see its importance. As much as I’m telling you, I am also screaming to myself: above all things, you need to make time to seek God’s word! How can it be that I spend 8 hours sleeping, 6 hours at school, 1 hour travelling, 4 hours on music, 1 hour on meal time, and barely have 30 minutes to read my Bible and pray?

I've come to realize that I can’t do this on my own. With my human “strength” I can’t. It is God who can only stir up my heart and give me to thirst to keep coming back to His word. But how can God do that if I do not first ask of Him and purposefully set aside time to meditate on His word?

“I cry out with my whole heart;

Hear me, O Lord!
I will keep Your statutes.
I cry out to You,
Save me, and I will keep Your testimonies.
I rise before the dawning of the morning,
And cry for help;
I hope in Your word.
My eyes are awake through the night watches,
That I may meditate on Your word.
Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness;
O LORD, revive me according to Your justice.
They draw near who follow after wickedness;
They are far from Your word.
You are near, O LORD,
And all Your commandments are truth.”

Psalm 119:145-151

I love the last two lines! God is near. That answers for me all my questions. Somehow, Psalm 119 just speaks to me so much tonight. I hope whoever reads it will find life and truth in God, too! =)

No comments:

The Visitors