Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The VCASS Letter

On 21st September, the first day of spring holidays, I spotted a large envelop sticking out of the mailbox. VCASS! My mind screamed. This is it Janielle, this is it.

Then I surprised myself by doing the opposite I had imagined I’d do when I receive the letter. Instead of tearing it open, I calmly held it and went into my room. I looked at it for 2 seconds and decided I would make a trip to the bathroom first. HAHAHA. No seriously, I had to pee. x)

I spent 2 minutes composing myself. I prayed, “God, this is it. I commit all my hopes, desires and dreams to You again. Whatever the result is, I trust You. If it’s a yes, I give You all the glory and credit, cause’ all I have comes from You. If it’s a no, still all the glory goes to You for leading me beyond my highest hopes. I trust You to open the best doors. Right now please prepare my heart right to receive whatever’s in the letter. I commit this to You. Amen.”

Nervously, but calmly, I opened the letter. I don’t remember thinking of anything except to open the friggin’ letter! The next thing my brain registered was:

Dear Janielle,

Following the recent auditions, we now have pleasure in offering you enrolment at the Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School as a student in 2010.

WAHOO! I raised the letter in triumph and jumped out of my room yelling: “I GOT IT! Mum, I GOT IT!!!” Thank you GOD; oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Many things have happened to bring me to this point. Haha (: Like my mum said afterwards, “All glory goes to God, hmm, Janielle. We dare not even take any credit!” God orchestrated it all. Now everything that has happened to us seems to make sense. If only we saw God’s big picture – but that’s why we are to trust Him in all things.

The VCASS letter goes on:

You have been accepted because we feel that you show promise, and that further training will identify whether or not this potential is to be realised. You should be aware that by gaining entry to the school you have won a major scholarship, which covers your music tuition fees, provided by the Victorian State Government.

A major scholarship! And I’ve only been here 10 months! It can only be an open door from God. VCASS is an entirely scholarship-based performing arts school for about 250 students. And they only have 20 places for international students who also have to audition, and even if accepted, have to pay nearly $20,000 annually. Man, all the more I’m giving God the glory!

10 months ago I was a far cry from what VCASS would accept. God helped me so much and prepared me in Blackburn High through Ms Sandra Birze, who is not merely a piano teacher, but a teacher of music. =) Even more, I thank God for dad & mum, who took this crazy leap and trusted God even though we had to risk everything. It is only by God’s grace that we’re able. I can’t say enough that truly, truly all the glory goes to God. I have no talent, I have nothing of worth. It all came from God when I asked of Him.

A Bible verse came to mind: “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven.” John 3:27

Next year I will begin a new journey, independent from my parents and many other things – even myself. But I will learn to depend on God alone. As much as I’m excited, I’m uncertain how I will adjust to a new lifestyle so quickly again!

“Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.” Ephesians 3:20

It’s not how great I am, but how great You are! I give all the glory and credit to God, who is the Giver and Creator of every bit of musicality in me.

No comments:

The Visitors