Saturday, October 24, 2009

Where My Heart Lies

I recently picked up a book called The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. You’ve probably heard of it, or even better, read it for yourself – it is a famous piece of writing! Anyway, I really enjoyed reading it, and connecting the key messages in the story to real life, my life.

In the heart of the book lies this quote, “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Sounds familiar? This profoundly simple sentence is actually from the Bible! It is found in Matthew 6:21. And what’s more, Jesus had said it!

At first glance, it is just a simple one liner. But I do not truly understand it. I understand the concept of it, but I do not know how it applies to me. Perhaps it is because I do not yet know where my heart lies, or where my treasure lies. What do I really want in this life? But then again, perhaps it’s not about what I want.

Maybe what I think I want is a distortion of the truth that is my heart, what I really should want. I know we live in a world where everything is twisted around and fake. We get tossed to and fro by many ideas, opinions and theories. But really, all we want to know is the truth. What is the truth?

We live in a world where lies are floating everywhere. People choose to believe what they want to believe, whatever is convenient to them, whatever they want to hear. That’s why when a sliver of light, of truth, floats our way, we seldom believe it – we seldom take it seriously or heed it. And often, the truth hurts our ego. It brings to light the dirty, grimy recesses of our hearts. And sometimes it is best to ignore the sliver of light and shut it out, just so we don’t have to clean up the filth inside. I also think that’s what sometimes I avoid reading my Bible.

But what did the Psalmist David say?

“How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.”
Psalm 119:9 and 11

So where is my heart, that I might find my treasure? Maybe my treasure is very close by, yet I am so far from it because what I think is the truth is mingled with all sorts of confusing words and lies that stop me from discovering my heart, my treasure. Perhaps that’s why the Psalmist David said, “Your word I have hidden in my heart…” May God’s truth help us to sift out all the unnecessary crap from our hearts and minds, so that what is left is the pure and original desire that God has placed in us, which will lead us to discover our destiny in Him.



No comments:

The Visitors