Friday, October 23, 2009

Who Gives the Increase?

I’ve always been amazed at how plants and flowers and trees grow. How do they grow? One day I plant a seed, the next day I check it, nothing has happened. After a few days, I become bored of waiting for it to grow. Many days later, when I care to look, I am amazed at how much it has grown without me noticing!

I can water a plant and fertilize the soil. But really, am I the one who causes it to grow taller and bigger, bearing flowers or fruit? I must also bear in mind that without the sun, there’s no life or growth. So even if I plant and water and fertilize the soil, if there is no sunlight, all my work is a waste of time because the plant will die anyway. So what causes the sun to shine, then?

Pondering such things, I remember a verse in the Bible saying:

“I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.” 1 Corinthians 3:6-7

Truly, in all things, in all my life, in everything I do, no matter how much I work for something, no matter how much I sacrifice, it is still God who gives the increase. It is still God who enables me to do it. He is the one who causes the sun to shine on us and the rain to pour on us. Who are we to think we deserve what we have worked for?

When I realize this, I realize how foolish I am to take pride in myself.

“In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths…
Honor the LORD with your possessions, and with the first fruits of all your increase.” Proverbs 3:6 and 9


=)

No comments:

The Visitors