Friday, February 11, 2011

Letting Go

I gotta learn to 'let go' and just relax sometimes. We often get so pressed to control things and get the results we have in mind. But what if we're not ready?

I was reading an incredible book by Madeline Bruser titled, 'The Art of Practicing'. One memorable quote was, 'Ambition is healthy. But it becomes destructive when we push ourselves too hard and drive our minds & bodies before they are ready.'

Its true. Often in my piano practices, I find it so difficult, tiring and 'grueling' because I am pushing myself too hard! I don't know how it took me so long to face this fact. I've always convinced myself that I can never get ENOUGH practice. And if I want to achieve the sound I so desire, I have to keep at it, relentlessly. However, I so often, in my zealousness to get the 'sound', forget to LISTEN. Forget to take a break. Forget to relax and just enjoy the sound I'm already making. Forget to LET GO and just play with ease and spontaneity, without tensing my muscles so much - foolishly thinking that it will yield a better sound.

Likewise, I'm learning that even in daily life and unanticipated circumstances, I need to LET GO and stop trying so hard to control the things that I cannot YET control, or the things that I am not YET ready to tackle.

You can't learn to soar like an eagle if you don't first plunge down the cliff.
You can't learn to soar high above if you don't first let go and spread out your 'wings', trusting that it will help you to glide.

Likewise, we can't accomplish some things unless we let go of our tension and fear and anxiety and expectations, surrendering the things that are beyond us to GOD.

'Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will bring it to pass.' Psalm 37:5

No comments:

The Visitors